for hosting people from Ukraine
Lunch and Learn series
A repeating 4-week cycle of talks, every Friday at 1pm, with guest speakers. The link is the same every week:
- Friday 8th April - Are you ready to host a Ukrainian Refugee family?
Access Passcode: 9i7+p1$w
- Friday 22nd April - Understanding your safeguarding responsibilities
- Friday 29th April - The first few weeks
- Friday 6th May - Beyond the first few weeks
- Friday 13th May - Are you ready to host a Ukrainian Refugee family?
- Friday 20th May - Understanding your safeguarding responsibilities
- Friday 27th May - The first few weeks
- Friday 11th May - Beyond the first few weeks
- Government registration of interest form (all hosts must complete this)
- Government Homes for Ukraine Sponsor (Host) Guidance
- Homes for Ukraine - Frequently Asked Questions (very helpful)
- Homes for Ukraine scheme factsheet (3 languages)
- Guidance for Ukrainians arriving in the UK (3 languages)
- Universal Credit for Ukrainians
- Legal advice for Ukrainians
- Apply for a Ukraine Family Scheme visa
- Portsmouth (Ukrainian)
- Portsmouth (English)
- Portsmouth (Russian)
- Hampshire County Council Guidance for Sponsors (hosts)
- Hampshire County Council Guidance for Ukrainian guests
- How to apply for a school place (HCC)
Free tennis club membership
We were delighted to hear from the Southsea Tennis Club that they wish to offer a year’s free membership to any of our Ukrainian guests who would like that. Please contact them direct.
Click here for general info about the club.
LSI Language School in Portsmouth are offering free full-time English language tuition. This is a wonderful offer, that will both assist our Ukrainian guests in learning English and also help them to settle into their new homes.
Duolingo, a free language learning app that you are probably familiar with, has English/Russian and English/Ukrainian courses (in both directions). Please be aware that most of “our” Ukrainians come from the Russian-speaking part of Ukraine. They are also providing free English tests to Ukrainians that will qualify them to access University education in this country. See their informative statement here.
Kings Church in Somers Road, Portsmouth, Wednesdays 12pm to 2pm
In conjunction with Portsmouth University students.
St Luke’s Church, Southsea, Mondays 10am to 1pm
At the refugee drop-in centre, see below.
St Simon’s, Southsea
St Simon’s have a coffee morning on Fridays run by Hampshire Ukrainian Community (see their Facebook group for more details).
St Luke’s Hub, Southsea
There is a general asylum and refugee drop-in at St Luke’s on Mondays 10am to 1pm run by Portsmouth City of Sanctuary. On Wednesdays there is a women only drop-in.