- Set and lead the vision for our children’s ministry.
- Contribute to the development of strategy, planning and vision for St Mary’s and champion the needs of children and families.
- Be a fully active, committed, worshiping member of St Mary’s, working with the leadership as part of our staff team.
- Train and gather a volunteer team around you (we already have a number of experienced and willing volunteers).
- Ideally, have a track record of training, inspiring and growing volunteer-leaders to assist them in this vital ministry.
- Pastorally care for the children and their families in the church in conjunction with clergy, readers and pastoral care team.
- Create age-appropriate discipleship and mission opportunities.
- Work alongside the clergy in strengthening relationships with our local primary schools including regular assemblies and seasonal and occasional events (Harvest, Remembrance, Christmas, baptisms, village events etc).
- Work alongside staff and volunteers to plan and deliver church services – particularly the all-age services (currently two a month).
- Be proactive in your ongoing training and development as a leader, seeking to build a network of relationships that encourage self-reflection, accountability, mentoring and guidance.
- Alongside our Safeguarding Rep, ensure that all our volunteers are ‘safely recruited’ and compliant with our church & Diocesan safeguarding policies and procedures.
- A committed follower of Jesus.
- A desire to inspire, teach and empower children.
- Relevant experience working with children.
- A relevant qualification in theology and/or children’s ministry is desirable.
- Exceptional interpersonal and organisational skills.
- Self-motivated, able to learn from mistakes and criticism, handle conflict, manage own workload.
- Experience of working with volunteers (recruiting, leading, training and motivating).
- Experience of working as part of a team, building and maintaining good relationships.
- Experience in working pastorally with children and their families.
- Awareness of pressures and challenges facing children.
- Computer-literate and competent in the use of social media.
- Experience in primary schools is desirable.
Children and Families Minister
We are looking for a Christian leader to bring vision, leadership and growth to the children’s ministry at St Mary’s and have pastoral oversight for all activities, groups and events for those aged 0-11.
St Mary’s is a lively village church serving the diverse needs of our growing community (pop 6,500+). Our church members come from a wide variety of Christian backgrounds and we reflect this in a mix of traditional and contemporary services. Our vision is to ‘Make the light, life and love of God known in our world’ and we do this by ‘Being with Jesus, becoming like Jesus and doing what Jesus did’.
You will be responsible for re-envisioning our children’s ministries; training and expanding our existing volunteer team and working with the leadership to build strong links between our church-based work, our fringe ministries and the wider community.
Personal Qualities and Skills
Download the Job Description for full details of the role, including salary, hours, holidays and other information including how to apply.
Station Road Liss, GU33 7JX