- direct our music as part of our church in Portsmouth.
- work with and direct our regarded and established choir.
- assist a group on the choice of hymns/songs. Choose and rehearse anthems and settings, guided by the service rota reflecting lectionary/festival themes. Choices made bearing in mind what will help encourage worship for the musicians and the whole congregation.
- play our recently refurbished tab stop, two manual organ at all major services and at most Sunday services in the church e.g., three out of four/five.
- lead, prepare and encourage the choir in hymns, songs, anthems, and responses with a regular weekly practice.
- introduce to the congregation new music when needed hymns, songs. Will advocate for and facilitate a variety of musical styles.
- liaise with Ministry Team on music selection for joint services, and arrange a music group practice if necessary. To lead the music for these services.
- work with choir members, the Rector, and Ministry Team to encourage children and young people.
- possibly use the organ for teaching.
- 1st, 3rd, 4th, (5th): 9:30am Sung Eucharist
- 2nd (if included): 10am Informal All Age Service
- Occasional: 10am joint services with both main congregations
- Principal Feasts, Feast days and Special Occasions – e.g. Crib Service, Harvest.
- To have first option to play for weddings: to meet with wedding couples; to assist with music choices.
- To have the first option to play at funerals and liaise with the clergy or Licensed Lay Minister conducting the service; to help with music choices if needed;
- have the appropriate music skills and experience?
- work well as part of a team?
- understand how music supports our worship?
- who is creative and organised?
- who will be able to take a pastoral caring role of others in the team?
- who will get enjoyment from the role?
- who will enjoy being part of our Christian community and help us grow?
- who is a practising Christian yourself?
An organist and musical director is sought for a church in suburban mainland Portsmouth. Could you grow our music culture with (normally robed) choir of 15 (augmented for major services)? Organ led services with varied eucharistic settings, anthems, traditional and contemporary hymns/songs. Periodic evening and festival services and occasional church events.
Appointee could also choose to include overseeing and supporting music for the second Sunday informal service playing electric piano and with a group of musicians. (Guitars, drums/percussion, flutes, violin, recorder and brass).
We are looking for someone to…
We are looking for someone who wants to come to help us on our journey in music and worship, who will enjoy helping as part of a team, and help us to grow through our music.
Can you lead, support and mentor other singers – and possibly musicians?
Are you someone…
This is a paid position as parish employee. RSCM contract and rates (‘Professional or Vocational’) by negotiation.
The Parish of Farlington is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. All post holders and volunteers are required to share this commitment and to fulfil all appropriate safeguarding training. All appointments are subject to acceptable pre-appointment checks and DBS as required.
For an informal conversation or to visit and see, please contact: Canon Paul Gully 023 9237 5145, email.
Havant Road, Farlington, PO6 1AA
Church of the Resurrection
Penrhyn Avenue, Farlington, PO6 2AP