- Ensure that the church building and equipment are fully prepared for Sunday services.
- Preparation for weddings and funerals, including liaising with funeral directors and attending wedding rehearsals with clergy.
- Preparation for concerts or other special events held in the church.
- Opening and closing of church premises for services and other special events.
- To be responsible for the operation of the, lighting and heating systems at services and other special events as required, ensure microphones are serviceable for Service leaders and visiting preachers, and setting the Sunday readings on the Lectern Bible.
- Checking church and churchyard and reporting any maintenance problems to the appropriate person.
- Working with clergy, organist, churchwardens, Director of Music, sacristans and others to ensure the smooth running of services and events.
- Following relevant health and safety procedures and current emergency regulations.
- Assisting sides teams to provide care and welcome for congregation and visitors.
- Preparation of service registers, wedding registers, wedding banns, certificates and other registers as required.
Verger, St James’ Emsworth
St James’ Church in Emsworth is seeking to fill the position of Verger to ensure the church is fully prepared for all church services and other special events. Estimated 7 hours per week (excluding weddings and funerals which are paid separately). Salary is £2,988 per annum.
Duties and Responsibilities
Main role: To ensure the church is fully prepared for all church services and other special events.
The job description and application form are available to download above.
Applications should be returned to Rev Andrew Sheard by Wednesday 20th February. Interviews will take place on Monday 4th March.
North Street, Emsworth, PO10 7DJ