Confirmation in the Church of England
Confirmation marks the point in the Christian journey at which you affirm for yourself the faith into which you have been baptised and your intention to live a life of committed discipleship.
This affirmation is confirmed through prayer and the laying on of hands by the confirming bishop. The Church also asks God to give you power through the Holy Spirit to enable you to live in the ways of Jesus.
Find out more about Confirmation on the Church of England website.
If you are interested, speak to your local church and they will invite you to attend a confirmation course.
This is a great way to explore your faith with others who are thinking about confirmation and is a safe place to ask any questions you have about God, Jesus and the journey of faith.
Upcoming Confirmation dates at Portsmouth Cathedral
The following are dates when Confirmation services will be held at Portsmouth Cathedral in 2019:
- Saturday 20th April, 8 pm
- Saturday 15th June, 6 pm
- Saturday 23rd November, 6 pm
Other Confirmation dates
- Havant Deanery confirmation on Sunday 19th May, 4 pm, at Emsworth
- IoW Deanery confirmation on Sunday 14th July, 2 pm, at the Minster
- Portsmouth Deanery confirmation on Sunday 29th September, 10 am, at St Mary’s, Portsea
- Bishop’s Waltham Deanery confirmation service on Saturday 7th December, 4 pm, venue tbc.