Our strategy: live | pray | serve
We have a blueprint to guide our diocese in the future - and it can be summed up in just three words.
live | pray | serve will be our motto for the future, as we seek to equip people to live as disciples of Christ; to pray, individually and together as worshipping communities; and to serve our local neighbourhoods and society together.
To achieve this, we will encourage and support our parishes, chaplaincies and church schools as they aim to:
- make disciples of Christ;
- grow our churches;
- equip people for lifelong learning; and
- promote the transformation of society.
These four strands embrace all the work covered by our central diocesan teams, but engagement with individual worshippers and in local communities only happens at the frontline of parishes, chaplaincies and church schools.
We want God’s Church to grow in south-east Hampshire and the Isle of Wight in:
- Depth: Our vision is that everyone will be able to explore and grow in fellowship and discipleship; explore their own sense of vocation and calling; and work out what good stewardship looks like in their life and the life of their parish, school and community.
- Impact: Our vision is that God’s love may be evident in all that we do in loving our neighbours, so that in every place, parish and community we can care for those around us.
- Numbers: Our vision is for all churches and styles of church to be flourishing throughout the diocese. We want the diocese to have an increasing number of new disciples each year, and for regular attendance in church to be rising.
The effect of coronavirus
Inevitably, the financial and practical challenges posed by the coronavirus pandemic have had an effect on our strategy and vision for the future. Bishop Christopher led a day in September 2020 when around 350 worshippers were able to consider the strategic options for the future via there Archdeaconry consultations, all of which took place via Zoom.
One of the impacts is on the role of deaneries, which will be given a larger strategic role within the diocese in the future. You can read a document detailing the next steps in our live | pray | serve journey, and a report into the governance and planning of our deaneries here:
- live | pray | serve: the next steps, Oct 2020
- Report into governance and planning of our deaneries, Oct 2020
To read job descriptions for area deans and lay chairs, click here:
Our live | pray | serve prayer
Here's a prayer you may wish to use in parishes and deaneries as we take the next steps forward with our diocesan strategy:
Lord our God, You make all things new.
Inspire our lives with your spirit
Renew our prayer with your grace
Transform our service with your love.
In the renewal of our life may your kingdom flourish
and your church thrive
so that all may come to know and love you
in your Son Jesus Christ.