The Diocese of Portsmouth is committed to safeguarding children, young people and adults and creating protective and supportive environments where all people, and especially those who may be vulnerable, are able to worship and pursue their faith journey in safety.
We follow the national legal and procedural framework for safeguarding children and adults, and Church of England policy and practice which can be found by clicking here.
Reporting A Concern
If you have information about a safeguarding situation where a child or adult is in immediate danger, or requires immediate attention, call emergency services on 999.
Any safeguarding concerns must be reported to your Parish Safeguarding Officer (PSO) and/or Incumbent as soon as possible.
If you need to speak to the the Diocesan Safeguarding Team please click here.
Parish safeguarding concerns should be reported to the Diocesan Safeguarding Team at email@example.com using the form below.
Out of Hours
The Diocese have commissioned thirtyone:eight to offer OUT OF HOURS AND HOLIDAY COVER when the DSA is unavailable. They can be contacted on 0303 003 1111 during these times. During such times, the Diocesan Safeguarding Team will ensure that information about such arrangements is available to parishes that may need safeguarding advice in their absence. An Information Sharing Agreement between the two organisations will allow for the DSA to receive a copy of the advice that thirtyone:eight may offer the parish church/caller to ensure appropriate follow up and support. Please make sure when contacting thirtyone:eight that you inform them that you are calling from the Diocese of Portsmouth.
Finding Help and Support
Below are the contact details of other agencies that are available to assist either on a 24-hour basis or through specialist helplines and services:
- Hampshire Safeguarding Children
- Hampshire Safeguarding Adults
- Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Portsmouth and Southampton (HIPS) safeguarding children procedures manual
Isle of Wight
- NSPCC Helpline 0808 800 5000 (10am–4pm Monday to Friday) or email help@NSPCC.org.uk at any time.
- Child-line: 0800 1111 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are a child or young person and are worried about anything.
- National Domestic Violence Helpline: 0808 2000 247 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are experiencing domestic abuse.
- Samaritans: 08457 90 90 90 (open 24 hours). Phone if you feel you are struggling to cope and need someone to talk to.
- Action on Elder Abuse : 080 8808 8141 (free phone Monday to Friday 9-5pm).
- The Survivor’s Trust: 08088 010 818 (free phone Monday to Wednesday 10am-7:30pm, Thursday 10am-6pm, Friday 10am-2pm)