Our ordination services are those where our bishop commissions those who are set apart to be members of the clergy. The bishop lays his hands on those who have been discerned, trained and presented, with prayer for the gifts of the Holy Spirit and for the grace required for ministry as deacons or priests.
We have three separate ordination services in 2023: two taking place in June and one in September.
List of those being ordained
Bishop Jonathan will ordain our first cohort of Michaelmas ordinands in September. They will be ordained as deacons, which means they'll be given the title ‘the Reverend’, can wear a dog collar and lead services as an assistant curate in their parish. They are:
Deacons (September 30):
- Karen Crowhurst (to serve at St Blasius, Shanklin)
- Coleen Jackson (Blendworth, Chalton and Idsworth)
- Clare King (Holy Trinity, Bembridge) - read more about Clare here.
- Nicola Pinnock (St Catherine, Ventnor) – being ordained as a distinctive deacon
- Bevaly Rackett (St Mary, Brading)
- Richard Shurmer (St Cuthbert’s, Copnor, with St Aidan’s, Anchorage Park)
- Larry Stone (Harbour Church)
Watch video highlights of our ordination services, June 2023:
Bishop Jonathan ordained the following as deacons and priests in June 2023. Those ordained deacon were given the title ‘the Reverend’, and are able to wear a dog collar and lead services as an assistant curate in their parish. Those ordained priest are additionally able to lead weddings and Communion services.
The full list of those ordained and their parishes is:
Deacons (11am, June 24):
- Will Alvarez (St Faith's, Lee-on-the-Solent)
- Jenn Camirand (St Alban, West Leigh)
- Jan Fuller (St Luke, Southsea)
- Sue Jones (Greatham, Empshott, Hawkley with Priors Dean; and Steep, Froxfield and Privett)
- Buffy Langdown (All Saints, Denmead) - read more about her calling to ordination here.
- Jill Phipps (Shedfield and Wickham)
Priests (4pm, June 24):
- the Rev Emma Andersen (Harbour Church, Portsmouth) - read about how Emma was called to ordination here
- the Rev Fran Carabott (St Margaret’s, Southsea) - read about how Fran became a Christian and was called to ordination here.
- the Rev Jill Kingston (Bedhampton)
- the Rev Liz Quinn (St George, Waterlooville)
- the Rev Amanda Sim (Catherington and Clanfield) - read more about how Amanda became a Christian and was called to ordination here
- the Rev Beth Yeandle (Crofton parish)