St Philip, PO6 2TL
St. Philip's, Cosham is a Grade II listed building, the last church to be designed and built by Sir Ninian Comper and his son Sebastian in 1937 and described as "possibly one of the most outstanding pieces of architecture of the inter-war period.”
St. Philip's Harrison and Harrison organ, installed when it was built, is also listed.
St. Philip's serves the people of the Highbury estate in Cosham, for which the church was built. It's liberal catholicism reflects the tradition from which it sprang. The blessed sacrament is reserved in one of the pillars of the beautiful ciborium.
There is a formal Sung Eucharist at 11 am on Sundays, with a robed choir, alternating with a more informal Family Eucharist with children's activities and Lego Church. There are a small number of baptisms, weddings and funerals throughout the year.
Activities include a fortnightly community lunch club, which is open to all, and monthly beetle drives.
There is a well equipped hall, available for hire, which is also home to the Highbury Players drama group and many other community organisations.
The church makes an excellent concert venue because of it's acoustics and ambience.
The parish organizes an annual pilgrimage to Walsingham.
St. Philip's is listed in several guide books including: Simon Jenkins' book The Thousand Best Churches & Pevsner's Buildings of England.
It is held in plurality with St. Peter and St. Paul, Wymering.
Pioneer Minister: Nicky Pybus
Come and See Eucharist
An informal celebration of the Eucharist with something for everyone.
Takes place in the church hall.
Alternative, interactive service with mini challenges, group discussion and prayers.
A midweek celebration of the Eucharist